John Wells is a Senior Attorney in HKM's Civil Litigation Group, practicing primarily in the areas of Toxic Torts and Transportation Litigation.
John represents manufacturers in toxic tort and asbestos matters in Minnesota, Wisconsin and North Dakota. He has also been a member of the HKM legal team representing businesses and individuals in premises liability matters involving serious personal injuries from falls, as well as catastrophic injuries from oilfield-related incidents.
In transportation law, John has represented transportation companies, including Class I railroads, in various types of litigation. He has also represented manufacturers whose products were used on locomotives.
Prior to joining HKM, John worked for a general civil practice law firm in Colorado, and for a firm in Minnesota where he represented many interstate rail clients in FELA and related matters. He has argued dispositive and other motions in a variety of jurisdictions and has obtained summary judgment and other favorable rulings for his clients. John has gained valuable trial experience and truly enjoys representing his clients in the courtroom.
John is licensed to practice law in the state and federal courts of Minnesota, North Dakota, and Wisconsin. He is a member of the Minnesota State Bar Association and is an inactive member of the state and federal bar for the courts of Colorado and Wyoming.
He received his B.A. from Valparaiso University and his J.D. from the University of Denver-Sturm College of Law. Outside of the office, John enjoys fishing, hunting, and spending time with his young family.
- Edgette v. various defendants (2015). In a living mesothelioma case with product identification, obtained summary judgment in Minnesota state court on behalf of various electronic manufacturers.
- Carroll v. various defendants (2017). In a deceased mesothelioma case with product identification, obtained summary judgment in federal court in Wisconsin on behalf of a valve manufacturer.
- Kohnle v. various defendants (2017). In a deceased mesothelioma case with product identification, obtained summary judgment in Minnesota on behalf of a manufacturer of foundry products.
- Federal Court of Minnesota
- North Dakota
- Federal Court of North Dakota
- Minnesota State Bar Association