Jeff Abrahamson is an attorney in HKM’s Civil Litigation Group, focusing his practice primarily on Insurance Fraud, Products Liability, Construction, Transportation, Personal Injury Defense, and Class Action litigation.
Jeff has successfully represented clients in proceedings before the state and federal courts of Minnesota, and the state courts of Wisconsin. In his litigation practice, he has obtained dismissals, summary judgments, defense verdicts, and other favorable results for his clients in numerous hearings and trials before these courts. Jeff has also successfully represented clients in appeals before the Minnesota Court of Appeals and Minnesota Supreme Court.
Jeff has extensive experience in transportation litigation and the defense of Class I Railroads against claims arising under the Federal Employers’ Liability Act (FELA), Locomotive Inspection Act (LIA), and Safety Appliance Act (SAA), and is a 2011 graduate of the National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel Trial College. He also successfully briefed and argued the case before the Minnesota Supreme Court which established the law regarding the application of post-verdict/prejudgment interest in FELA actions brought in Minnesota state courts.
Jeff also has experience in Business and Commercial Litigation, Real Estate Law, Landlord/Tenant Law, Telecommunications Law, Regulatory and Compliance Law, Risk Mitigation, and Alternative Dispute Resolution.
Prior to joining HKM, Jeff was a litigation attorney for more than 10 years at other Twin City firms and served as law clerk to the Honorable U.S. Magistrate Judge Jeffrey J. Keyes.
Jeff is licensed to practice in the state and federal courts of Minnesota, and the state courts of Wisconsin. He is a member of the Hennepin County, Ramsey County, Minnesota State, and American Bar Associations, and of the Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association. Jeff also volunteers as a member of the Advisory Council for the St. Joseph Worker Program in St. Paul.
Jeff received his J.D., cum laude, from the University of Minnesota Law School where he was a Managing Editor of the Minnesota Journal of Global Trade (now the Journal of International Law), a director of the Housing Law Clinic, and a Judicial Extern to the Honorable Ann Alton. He received his B.A., summa cum laude, from the University of Minnesota-Duluth where he received the Communications Department Academic Excellence Award.
In his free time, Jeff enjoys spending time with his family and friends, playing basketball, classic Mustangs, and the outdoors.
- Kinworthy v. Soo Line Railroad Company, 860 N.W.2d 355 (Minn. 2015)
- Carlberg v. Soo Line Railroad Co., Court File No. 27-CV-13-15523, Fourth Judicial District, Hennepin County (Favorable settlement on eve of jury verdict October 2014).
- Tompt v. BNSF Railway Co., Court File No. 27-CV-2012-020252, Fourth Judicial District, Hennepin County, Minnesota (Defense jury verdict January 16, 2014).
- Kinworthy v. Soo Line Railroad Company, 841 N.W.2d 363 (Minn. Ct. App. 2013)
- Kinworthy v. Soo Line Railroad Company, Court File No. 27-CV-09-16075, Fourth Judicial District, Hennepin County, Minnesota (Favorable jury verdict September 28, 2012)
- Buganski v. Soo Line Railroad Company, Inc., No. A11-41, 2011 WL 3654471 (Minn. Ct. App. Aug. 22, 2011), rev. denied Nov. 15, 2011.
- Anderson v. County of Becker, No. 08-5687, 2009 WL 3164769 (D. Minn. Sept. 28, 2009).
- United Prairie Bank-Mountain Lake v. Haugen Nutrition & Equipment, LLC, Nos. A06-722, A06-868, 2007 WL1470219 (Minn. Ct. App. May 22, 2007)
- In re Patterson Companies, Inc. Securities, Derivative & ERISA Litigation, 479 F.Supp.2d 1014 (D. Minn. 2007).
- All Metro Supply, Inc. v. Warner, 707 N.W.2d 1 (Minn. Ct. App. 2005).
Honors & Memberships
- American Bar Association – Member
- Minnesota State Bar Association – Member
- Ramsey County Bar Association – Member
- Hennepin County Bar Association – Member
- Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association – Member
- Joseph Worker Program – Advisory Council Member